Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Santa run


In amongst all the training there is time for fun; although if I’m not working or training I’m most likely sleeping! Mid December saw Fi and I running together for the first time in a event, we had entered a 10K Santa run in aid of a local children’s charity with our friends Paul and Lesley. It was a cold day, the coldest of the year so far and on the way to the event the dash on Lesley’s car told us it was -2. Once we arrived at the site we were issued our Santa outfit, all runners had to dress in the Santa costume and a very strict marshal announced with a totally straight face that any runner crossing the line without their costume on would be disqualified ‘elite runners take note’ he added. I looked around but despite searching the crowd didn’t see Usain Bolt, I guess he must have gone to the loo at that moment, I hope someone passed on the message. When the race started Fi and I crossed the line along with about two hundred other Santas madly running through the Irish countryside red hats bobbing up and down as we went. Fi was great, she really dug deep and managed to do the first lap 5K without stopping, and then together we carried on until we crossed the finish line, I was very proud of her effort and determination.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment, Jamile